Thursday 15 November 2012

Wahai dulangku



I've been thinking.

My dulang hantaran will cost me $45 per tray. And I know that normally people will have things listed like bags, wallet, belt, quran, sejadah, telekong, cosmetics, toiletries, perfume set, clothes, shoes and food items as part of their hantaran "team".

However, it dawned on me that it does not make sense to splurge $45 just for the decorated tray to be a throne for maybe, a few varieties of keropoks ---> ruffles/jack n jill etc, to sit on. Errrr =/

So I went through the general list one by one, and tried to weigh its significance and value (fyi, these are all my personal opinions only):

1. Bags: Suitable. A good quality bag can last. Sensible to be seated daintily on the tray. Can get it personalised. Maybe initials of the bride & groom. Or the wedding date. Meaningful, huh? =D

2. Wallet: Same as 1.

3. Belt: Same as 1.

4. Quran: No questions. Straight yes. It's a part of a Muslim's life. You can never throw away an Al-Quran. Will last you a whole lifetime, insyaAllah.

5. Sejadah: No questions. Straight yes. You need to pray, no?

6. Telekong or Baju Kurung: No questions. Straight yes. Let me ask you again, you need to pray, no? Heh.

7. Cosmetic: Sure, I did thought about having some cool luxurious Chanel makeup set modelling nicely on the tray. But come to think about it, its only a matter of time before those paint colours will be gone. Obviously will need to get it replenished. Doesn't last. The clock is ticking.. tick..tock..tick..tock..

8. Toiletries: Same as 7.

9. Perfume Set: Same as 7.

10. Clothes: Sure, u can get them. Again, quality is priority. Im not sure what clothes will last though. But, im giving a no.

11. Shoes: Ah hah. This one. I really like oogling at those skyscraping heels, glittering on those trays. However, Im not sure. After a while, shoes will wear and tear. Wouldn't it then be depressing to see the gift your husband gave to you finally giving way into the trashbag? =/

12. Food. Tricky. If my tray costs almost 50 bux, i don't wanna be having cheap keropoks or chocolates in it. Its like, im paying for the look of the tray and not the quality of item in it. Food, will be gone down your tummy. Poof! *Now u see it, now u don't*  Nevertheless, I will have to start sourcing for some really yummy (and pricey sikit, ehem ehem) food item, Still. Because I happened to read somewhere that said: "Food items for the family members to enjoy." I almost forgot that I should not be selfish. I should offer some sweets to my new family members. So, yes. Maybe 1 or 2 trays.

The reason why Im being particular about the items of my hantaran is because



Hence I want my items to last. Not after few months or years, I have to face the sad truth of disposing them somehow.

To me, They are precious. They are solemn. They are extremely meaningful. They are really valued - not monetarily - but of sentimental value.

Xoxo
R

No comments: